At the UW Online Executive MPH program, we are training the next generation of public health leaders. Our program is designed for professionals who are looking for a high-quality MPH degree program with a convenient, mostly online format.
The curriculum teaches the core public health competencies using a team-based learning approach that fosters collaboration among students from a variety of professional disciplines. Guided by faculty, you work in groups to grapple with current public health problems. In the second year of the program, you apply what you have learned to a practicum experience in the community and to a final capstone project or thesis.
After successfully completing the program, you will be able to:
- Assess community assets and needs and apply participatory approaches to solving public health problems in communities
- Develop, implement, monitor, evaluate and improve public health programs, policies and interventions
- Apply epidemiological and biostatistical methods to assess public health status and reduce mortality, morbidity and disability
- Apply environmental health principles and approaches to assess, prevent and control environmental health hazards
- Assess and address behavioral, social and cultural factors related to population health and health disparities
- Develop strategies to reduce health inequalities within communities and populations
- Apply leadership skills in managing cross-disciplinary teams and organizations to effectively address public health problems
The UW Online Executive MPH program has educated the public health community for more than 30 years. It is offered by the UW Department of Health Services in the UW School of Public Health in collaboration with UW Professional & Continuing Education. It is fully accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
The Online Executive MPH is a two-year, seven-quarter program. It consists of 63 quarter credits, including a practicum and either a capstone project or a thesis.
The program is delivered in a blended format, which combines the convenience of online learning with the benefits of face-to-face classroom interaction. Courses meet mostly online, supplemented by three on-site sessions at Puget Sound Plaza in downtown Seattle.
During the online portion, you can do your coursework largely on your own schedule, but you may be required to participate in webinars or teleconferences in real time on Thursday evenings.
There are three required on-site sessions. For Fall entry, on-site sessions are held in autumn of year one (orientation), autumn of year two, and spring of year two (thesis and capstone presentations and graduation).
Who Should Apply
The Online Executive MPH program is designed for working professionals who want to become leaders in public health. Our students typically have five or more years of professional experience. They come from a variety of professions and include physicians, researchers, nurses, pharmacists, hospital and clinic managers, as well as public health practitioners. We will also consider applications from non-health professionals who have at least two years of work experience. For more information, see Admissions.
The Graduate Certificate in Public Health Practice introduces students to the core disciplines of public health practice over two quarters of study. Geared to working professionals, this 18-credit program is delivered in a blended format.
"My classmates and I benefited immensely from exchanging our unique professional experiences relating to the core public health concepts we were studying. Having a cohort with such diverse ideas and perspectives really added to the richness of our learning."
Michelle Edwards, 2015 Graduate
Physician, Family Medicine