Capstone Project & Thesis
The capstone project is a high-quality scholarly effort that demonstrates the development of the student’s ability for independent, professional-quality work in a real-world, practical context. The project is designed to help an organization, agency or community address a public health problem or question of practical importance. For example, a student might evaluate a program or develop and test an intervention, curriculum or protocol for application within a particular setting.
Examples of recent capstone projects include:
- Coaching for Better Health Outcomes
- A Community Assessment of Youth Sexual Health in Kitsap County, Washington
- Island County Community Health Assessment, Environmental Health and Infectious Disease and Prevention
- Opiate Safety Education Training for Physicians
- Strategies to Prevent Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
The master’s thesis is a research effort explicitly directed at creating new knowledge of a generalizable nature. The thesis involves posing a question based on the current state of knowledge (or lack of knowledge) about an issue, reviewing the literature on that problem, developing a hypothesis, planning a research design (usually a data analysis approach) to confirm or refute the hypothesis, conducting data analysis, clearly presenting the results of the analysis, carefully considering the strengths and weaknesses of the design, relating the results to previous evidence, and commenting on the implications of the work.
Examples of recent thesis projects include:
- Cesarean Section Deliveries In Paraguay: A Comparison of Trends Between 1995 and 2008
- Costs of Second Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
- A Descriptive Analysis of Intervention Coverage Scale-Up for Malaria Prevention in Pregnancy and Equity of Services
- Evidence-Based Care Practices in Older Adults Who Have Fallen
- Knowledge, Attitudes and Practices Around Peri-Urban and Rural Water Access and Sanitation During a Cholera Outbreak: A Comparison of Two Communities in the Puerto Plata Region, Dominican Republic
- Program Evaluation of the Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Program at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System
- Rates, Trends and Determinants of Cesarean Section Deliveries in El Salvador: 1998 to 2008
View example capstone and theses projects.
Students present their projects at a special year-end capstone and thesis presentation event open to their preceptors, families and friends.